Pages

Friday 22 July 2011

The birthday party that almost wasn't

Emma enjoys a fairy cake

Thanks to the norovirus sweeping through Tom and Lily's school we almost didn't have a birthday party. During the course of this week we have all succumbed to the illness one by one. Only Mark and my dad have managed to escape it. Because of the rotten virus I had to do the unthinkable and buy a commercial birthday cake for Emma's birthday. In my nearly seven years of motherhood this is the first time I haven't made the birthday cake for their party. I had it all planned out in my head and had bought the most delightful decorations for it too...botheration!

The theme for Emma's birthday was 'round and round the garden, like a teddy bear'. Emma is my little bear and she loves to be outside in the garden, so it seemed appropriate. My plans for this party had to be dramatically scaled back as I was left with no time to make the decorations I had wanted and didn't do half what I had planned to. As it turned out, thanks to the virus the only people at Emma's party were Emma, Lily, my dad and me. My mum, who had made the journey to visit us expressly to be here for Emma's birthday, succumbed to the virus about mid-morning and spent the rest of Emma's birthday in bed. Tom was also ill, Mark's parents wisely stayed away to avoid catching the nasty bug and Mark was at work. I still wanted to make her party special though, so I decorated the sideboard, made a batch of fairy cakes and served some of the party food in plant pots. It was a small party, but it turned out nicely and those of us able to attend had a lovely time. Most importantly, Emma loved it and that is what it is all about. Still cross about the bought birthday cake though!

 Since the theme was 'round and round the garden like a teddy bear' I filled watering cans with fresh flowers and propped Emma's new teddy up against one of them. Garden tools were also part of the decor.

I call Emma  'Emma Bear', so I like to give her a special teddy on her birthday and at Christmas and I have started collecting the Bearington Bears for her. This one was so appropriate for our party theme with its ladybird dress and handbag.

 It wouldn't be a birthday without homemade fairy cakes. I managed to whip these up during Emma's nap, though I didn't use the decorations I had originally bought for them. We hope to have a birthday party 'mark 2' at the weekend, so I am saving the decorations for then.

Another picture of Emma's new teddy bear because I love it and want to steal it. I have always loved teddy bears, especially those in pretty dresses!

 Emma helps herself. She really enjoyed her party.

To keep with the party theme, I served some of the party food in plant pots. One of the few ideas I actually had time to carry through!
.

No comments: