Pages

Tuesday 22 April 2008

The first Spring day

Although the first day of spring was a few weeks ago, today felt like the first spring day. It was sunny and mild, with only a slight breeze. Days like this are few and far between, so today I tried to spend as much time outdoors with the Podlings as possible. We went to the park this morning, something we haven't been able to do for a little while. I took their morning snack with us and they sat on the park bench and ate it in the sunshine. They played on the swings, slid down the slide and just ran around and enjoyed being outside. Lily did not want to go home again. She was very clear about that!

While the Podlings were having their rest time this afternoon, I took my cup of tea and wandered round the garden. I'd noticed some flowers appearing and as this is the first spring we have been in this house, I am excited to see what my garden has in store for me. I took some photos of the flowers I found, but I don't know what any of them are. Given the abundance of the purple flower in the front and back gardens, I suspect it may be a weed. It seems to be some kind of climber and is very pretty so it can stay whether it is a weed or not! If anyone knows what these flowers are, I'd love to know as I like to be able to tell the children the names of flowers, birds and the sundry things we find in nature. Tom can name a dandelion, daisy, daffodil and forget-me-not and has already asked me what the purple flower is called. Feel free to leave a comment if you can enlighten me (or just leave a comment anyway, I love to get comments!).

After the Podlings' rest time, we all went out into the garden for some fun. We ran, read stories, looked at the flowers, played ball, played with some toys on a blanket and just had the most wonderful afternoon together. I hope that today wasn't just a fluke and that we have some more mild weather in store. The Podlings and I love being outdoors and I'm looking forward to being able to plant some flowers of my own this year.

2 comments:

Matthew said...

Hi Paula,
That little blue flower looks very similar to our chicory flowers, we have planted several paddocks of chicory, and when they flower it looks really neat.

Paula said...

Hi Matthew,

Your comment finally made me go and look up the flower in my 'British Wildlife' book. It's a Lesser Periwinkle apparently, so now I know. I can't wait to hear Lily try to say Periwinkle!