Pages

Wednesday 2 May 2012

Finally...some sun!


"The kiss of the sun for pardon,
The song of the birds for mirth,--
One is nearer God's heart in a garden
Than anywhere else on earth."
- Dorothy Gurney

After what feels like the wettest April in history it was with a glad heart that I went into the garden today to find that it actually felt like spring. Emma and I spent a happy morning doing a spot of gardening and trying to tidy up some of the more unsightly corners. As you can see from the length of the grass and the profusion of dandelions it has been some time since the weather has allowed us to spend any time gardening.

The sun brought out more than just us. Emma and I must have seen at least 10 ladybirds in the garden, which Emma named after members of the family. She'd keep asking where the Lily Ladybird was and getting excited when the Tom Ladybird started running along a blade of grass. I'm thankful that whilst Emma is happy to look at all sorts of insects and gets quite a thrill from spotting snails, she won't touch any of them. I really don't know how I'd react if one of my children came running up to me holding a creepy crawly. Eeew!

Emma and I love being outdoors, so I'm hoping today wasn't just a one off and we can spend some more time gardening later in the week. I think it will take me several days just to tackle the dandelions!


Emma watching a ladybird 

,

No comments: