Pages

Thursday 24 September 2009

Welcoming Autumn


I love Autumn! I enjoy each season in its turn, but Autumn is my favourite by a country mile. As soon as the temperature drops and I can smell Autumn in the air, I start wanting to nest in the worst way. It drives me straight into the kitchen to bake comfort foods and I suddenly want to put cinnamon in everything!
..
It was the first official day of Autumn on Tuesday, so yesterday the Podlings and I welcomed my favourite season with an Autumn tea. I baked a Somerset apple cake and a tray of flapjacks, cut sandwiches into leaf shapes and served them alongside sliced apples and freshly picked blackberries (Lily and I picked them on our way home from playgroup). I decorated the table with pine cones and Cox's apples (by far the tastiest apple in my opinion) and put some of my Autumn decorations in a jug for a centrepiece.
..
My Somerset apple cake was made with wholemeal flour and contains apples and cinnamon, two flavours I strongly associate with the season. Tom loves it and had two slices for tea and shared Mark's piece at suppertime!
..
Lily decided that since there was a cake, we really ought to sing 'Happy Birthday'. At her request, I put a candle in the cake and we sang 'Happy Birthday' to Autumn! Tom and Lily love it when I do little teas like this for them and they really enjoyed this one. I rather enjoyed helping them out with the baked goods too! I'm rather partial to Somerset apple cake and would never say no to a piece of homemade flapjack!
..

No comments: