Pages

Wednesday 12 November 2014

Cragside Again



Cragside is an impressive Victorian country house, home of the inventor and industrialist, Lord Armstrong. We explored some of the specatular grounds during our weekend visit to Northumberland in September, but didn't have time to see the house on that occasion. We were keen to rectify this omission this time round, so made sure we got to Cragside in plenty of time.

I love the Victorian era, so the house was a real treat for me. I could have moved straight in! It was an absolute delight to explore. Photography is allowed, but trying to take decent photos in low light with a point-and-shoot camera, no flash and a baby in a forward facing sling proved challenging. Most of my photos of the rooms were unfortunately really blurry, so I have just shared a few of my decent shots. Luckily I have the lovely photos in the guide book to remind me of the beautiful interior.

After exploring the house, we took a walk through the grounds to the formal garden, following the science trail for children that the National Trust were running during half term. The Podlings had fun finding the steps on the trail and answering the questions and were thrilled to receive a sticker and a badge as a reward for the their efforts. These trails are a great way to keep children interested and engaged during our visits. We were followed along the trail by two different cats, much to the delight of the children!

The whole family have fallen in love with Cragside. It has utterly captivated us and I feel sure that we will visit it whenever we are in the area.

 











 .

1 comment:

Ann Kay said...

Looks a grand place and I love the beautiful stained glass windows.
Ann Kay