Pages

Thursday 7 March 2013

Small Beginnings


Last weekend we bought some seeds and some compost and spent Sunday afternoon planting. This year we have planted cucumbers, tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, peppers, potatoes and cress. We also plan to plant peas, but we couldn't find our seeds (left over from last year) so once we have found them we will plant them too.

The Podlings got a bit excited with the flower seeds in the shop, so we have Petunias, Pansies, Lobelia, Morning Glory, Sweet William and Lily of the Valley to look forward to. I wasn't about to quell their enthusiasm as I love flowers and think you can't have too many flowers in a garden. Granted, you can eat the vegetables, but I do get such pleasure from growing flowers. I'm afraid I'll generally choose pretty over practical!

Lily and Emma had a lot of fun planting and watering the seeds. Tom came out briefly to plant the Morning Glory seeds he chose, but it was really too cold to tempt him to stay and plant more. Our seeds are nice and cosy in the conservatory (it doubles up as a greenhouse!), but I plan to wait until it gets a little warmer before I plant the Lily of the Valley. We bought those so Lily could have a namesake in the garden and they should come in to flower around her birthday in late May. These little details please me!




.

No comments: