Pages

Tuesday 17 July 2007

Home is where the heart is

I've finally seen our new house! For those that don't know, I wasn't able to view the house when we put the offer in as the children had chicken pox at the time and we were housebound. I have had nothing but pictures and verbal reports from my husband and in-laws to tell me what my new home would be like. My husband chose well! The new house is lovely and I can't wait to get in there and start turning it into a beautiful home for my family. There is quite a lot of work to do in the house as the lady who owned it has neglected it rather. Luckily for us, her neglect of the house has brought it into our price range. We could never have afforded to buy a house of this size if it were well decorated and well looked after. Most of the work we have to do will involve decorating, but we will have to re-fit the shower in the ensuite and have all the radiators looked at (and one replaced). Some of the laminate flooring in the utility room and the kitchen will have to be replaced at some point as the leaking radiators have damaged it. The garden has been left to itself since we had our offer accepted, so the front garden looks like a meadow and the top of the back garden resembles a jungle!

It's not all doom and gloom though. The lady very kindly gave us her conservatory furniture, which is far nicer than we could have afforded. The conservatory is the most beautiful, restful room and I am so looking forward to relaxing in it with my books. The kitchen is fantastic, with all the storage I could dream of (plus more in the utility room). The garden is huge and will be wonderful for the children to play in. Finally, we have two sitting rooms, so we can keep all the children's toys (they have A LOT of toys) in the family room and still have a nice toy-free room for us to be 'grown-ups' in in the evening. I love that my piano won't be in the 'play room' anymore. I feared for its saftey!

The Podlings and their Nanna playing in what will be the family room

Some of the lovely furniture the previous owner gave us

The furniture is being delivered on the 26th, so we plan to move in the following weekend when I have had a chance to do a bit of unpacking. We have enough work to do on the house to keep us busy over the coming months, but I am so excited about making the house the way we want it. It is going to be such a lovely home for us and I know we will be happy there. It has been rather strange being a housewife without a house, so now I can get back to doing what I love...taking care of my family and creating a lovely home for us all to live in. I truly feel blessed.


My husband and father-in-law relaxing the conservatory

No comments: