Pages

Friday 8 October 2010

Nocturnal disturbances

Sweet face isn't it? I have to say I find it marginally less sweet at five o'clock in the morning when it appears on my pillow and seems to be attached to a body that takes up half the bed!

It would seem that I am not destined to be blessed with girls who sleep well. Tom was sleeping a solid 13 hours through the night at 10 weeks old, but Lily and Emma are a different story. Lily didn't sleep through the night until she was 14 months old, but then started waking up again a few months after Emma was born. It wasn't every night, but there were many nights when I seemed to spend the whole night alternating between Lily and Emma and got hardly any sleep.

Emma started off well and was almost sleeping through at 8 weeks old. Then she had several bad colds in a row and it completely disrupted her sleep pattern. She has hardly ever given me an undisturbed night since then, but on the rare occasions that she has slept through, without fail Lily has woken up several times in the night. It is almost like they have some kind of arrangement to make sure somebody is getting me up! I think we might finally be turning a corner with Emma as she has slept through the night for the last three nights in a row (hope I haven't just jinxed it!). However, for the last three nights I have been up with Lily at least twice a night. What does it take to get a good night's sleep around here!

There is a line in Psalm 127 that always makes me smile when I read it:

"He grants sleep to those he loves."

Hmmm.....
.

2 comments:

Catherine said...

I was always concerned by that verse too (considering my Sarah is nearly 2 and last night's stretch from 8pm to 5am was her longest EVER sleep!) but then I looked it up and the words actually mean something more like "He gives [blessings] to His loved ones even as they sleep" - the context is that it's vain to get up early and stay up late to toil away because God blesses us as He will. I don't know if that helps, I know your note was a little tongue in cheek, but I thought I would pass it along! :)

Paula said...

Thanks for the clarification. I have always wondered about that verse I have to admit!