Pages

Thursday 28 October 2010

The bride wore blue


Last Saturday we had the pleasure of attending the wedding of two friends of ours from our postgraduate days. Les and Susan finally tied the knot after thirteen years together and we were honoured to have been invited to share in their special day. Mark lodged in Les's house during the latter part of his PhD and both Les and Susan always made me feel at home when I visited him there. Susan became a good friend to me and our weekly lunch dates probably kept me sane during the final three months of my PhD.

They met at a science fiction convention are both sci-fi afficionados, so it came as no surprise that the wedding was themed with this in mind. Susan walked down the aisle to the theme music from Deep Space 9 and looked stunning in a blue wedding dress. The wedding was beautiful because it was so very personal to them. Stars were the ongoing theme of the decor, with the wedding party sporting blue stars for buttonholes and even the favours containing star-shaped chocolates. Tom was especially fond of the blue and silver star confetti that was scattered on the tables. He spent most of the evening on his hands and knees collecting stars that had fallen on the dance floor.

The Podlings behaved beautifully and Mark and I were really proud of them. Several people came up and told us how well behaved they thought they were and most of them were rather taken with Emma's groovy moves on the dance floor. I was especially proud of Lily who behaved impeccably during the ceremony. Emma was being very fussy and I had to take her out of the room. A kindly usher offered to watch Lily as Mark and Tom were seated on the opposite side of the room. After the ceremony was over, the usher told me that Lily was the best behaved child she had seen in a long time and that we should be very proud. At least Lily knows how to behave when in matters!

 Tom tucking into the sweets from the generous bag of treats and toys the bride and groom left for each of the children at the wedding.

The whole family had a lovely time at Les and Susan's wedding and it was lovely to see them again. We enjoyed spending time with some other friends we knew at the wedding and Mark and I were especially pleased to see Susan's parents again after many years. They are two of the nicest people you could ever meet and since I know they read my blog, I will take the opportunity to say 'Hello' to Ann and Dennis and to wish them both well.
.
Cheers!

Les and Susan have a shared web album with some of their wedding pictures and if they say it is okay I will put a link to it in this post. I just want to make sure they don't mind first. Watch this space.
.

No comments: