Pages

Friday 28 November 2008

Seven Quick Takes

Looking at the date of my last post, it would seem that I haven’t been blogging much lately. Maybe it’s the cold weather, or the dark afternoons or maybe it’s something else, but we haven’t been doing much to blog about. I thought 7 Quick Takes would be a great way of reassuring you that we are, in fact, still alive and kicking!

1. The children are going through a particularly lovely phase at the moment where they play with each other for ages. They’ll base themselves in a room, ask me to bring some toys (usually play food) and then play together happily for half an hour or more. It is so sweet to see them getting on so well together and co-operating in a game. I hope they will always get on this well.

2. One of the reasons I haven’t been posting many pictures of the Podlings is that Tom is currently going through a bit of naturist phase. He’ll happily wear a jumper, but prefers to be naked from the waist down these days. This makes it rather difficult to get photos you would be happy to post on the Internet!

3. I have to try and get costumes together by December 11th for the children’s playgroup Christmas concert. Lily is an angel and Tom is supposed to be one of the animals in the stable. Given the problems I’m having just getting the boy dressed in everyday clothes, I don’t hold out much chance of getting him in an animal costume. To increase my chances, I tried to get Tom to choose which animal he wants to be. The result...he wants to be a mouse! Whilst I’m sure there were a few mice in the stable in Bethlehem, I’m not sure that’s what the playgroup leader had in mind. I’m hoping to change his mind.

4. Despite my love of all things crafty, I am probably going to rely on eBay to supply my costume needs for the aforementioned concert. I’m rather lacking in energy at the moment. I feel slightly ashamed that I probably won’t be making the costumes myself, but I don’t suppose the children will care either way!

5. We’re hoping to get our Christmas tree this weekend and I’m looking forward to getting the decorations out ready to start decorating on December the first. I adore the Christmas season, but I am always annoyed at the stores and catalogues for trying to get me in the festive mood before the time is right. It just doesn’t seem right to me to have decorations up before December.

6. Lily got in trouble this morning for throwing a plastic pear at her brother. They were playing happily on opposite sides of the playroom when, for no apparent reason, Lily just trotted across the room and hurled said fruit right at Tom’s nose. Now we all know how it feels to be hit on the nose by something and Lily has quite a good arm, so the poor boy was in tears for a few minutes. I don’t think the resulting red nose was due to the crying either. It’s not all sunshine and roses round here!

7. I’m eating lots of satsumas at the moment. I love to see a bowl full of the cheerful orange fruit and something about this time of year makes me want to eat them by the net full. I’ve always associated satsumas with Christmas and I have now passed on the family tradition of putting one in the bottom of the Christmas stocking to my own children. I was gutted last year when satsumas were really hard to get hold of. Thankfully, this year they seem to be in abundance again.

Thanks to Conversion Diary for hosting 7 Quick Takes Friday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Paula,
I have missed your blogs they brighten up the start to my work day (yes I know I should be working). In answer to your costume problem I know Asda (if you have one locally) have angel outfits and some animal ones and they are usually responably pricec. Now I ought to go and do what I am payed for!!!
Love

Diane

Paula said...

Funny you should mention it, but I managed to get an angel costume and a sheep costume in Tesco on Saturday. I couldn't have made costumes as cheap as they are selling them! Don't rate my chances of getting Tom dressed up very highly though!

Have fun at work!
Paula