Pages

Thursday 24 July 2008

Fun on the farm

Yesterday morning the Podlings and I went to a nearby farm with a lovely lady we met at the toddler group we go to. She came out and picked us up and drove us to the farm, where we met up with her daughter-in-law and two of her grandchildren. We know little Jack from toddler group, but we were able to meet his older sister Georgia, who Tom took quite a shine to. They were often walking hand in hand as we wandered round looking at the animals.

There was a wonderful play area for the children, which they spent ages in. Lily, being the thrill seeker that she is, soon noticed the 8ft slide and was trotting up the ramp and shooting down it as if it were only 3 ft off the ground. Tom got to the top of the slide, thought better of it and walked back down the ramp again!


As we wandered around looking at the animals, I had the dubious pleasure of watching a calf being born. I didn't think the Podlings were old enough to watch such a thing, so I scooted them past and then watched from a distance when the children were distracted by the sheep. It was really fascinating (though a bit gory) to watch, but I don't know if the calf was born alive as it took two grown men to pull it out and they quickly hurried the calf off to a shed.

The children loved the animals and Lily particularly liked to touch them. She seemed to like the sheep best. "I luff him" she told me as she petted the one in the picture. Tom told me he liked the pig best, though he also said he liked the flies that were buzzing around a sleeping calf. Strange boy!
Enjoying some chocolate

We had a little picnic lunch on the grass, played some more and then Sue brought us home again. We're planning to do something together next week too, which I'm looking forward to. She is a really lovely person and the children seem very fond of her. I am so grateful that she has taken the trouble to spend some time with us. It has been hard to get to know people since we moved here last year and I have been a little lonely at times.

No comments: